Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.
Training For Scott Memorial Hospital
What is the HIV Prevention Counseling Training Course?
The HIV Prevention Counseling Course is a skills-based course for individuals working or volunteering as an HIV Prevention Counselor. Participants must be sponsored by a directly or indirectly state-funded counseling and testing site, or other state recognized agency and organization. Course curriculum includes:
- Development of capacity to implement all stages of pre- and post- test counseling, testing, partner and referral services.
- Develop knowledge and skills to engage clients in behavior change models to reduce client risks of acquiring or transmitting HIV, STD and/or Hepatitis.
- Increase awareness and utilization of policies and procedures pertaining to HIV.
- Participants must have knowledge of venipuncture techniques. Trainign soon to include phlebotomy
Who May Attend?
Participants must be sponsored by a directly or indirectly state-funded counseling and testing site, or other state recognized agency or organization.
How Do I Apply?
To register for this training, review and complete SF 53760 HIV Prevention Counselor Certification Course Registrationform.
Email or fax the form to:
HIV Prevention/Services Training and Development Manager
What are the Requirements to Become Certified?
The HIV Prevention Counselor Certification Course is a 3-day skills based training for those persons who will provide HIV prevention counseling, testing, referral, and partner elicitation services. Individuals must meet all pre-requisites and class requirements to become fully certified. Those requirements include the following.
- Pass the HIV Proficiency Test given on first day of Course.
- Complete HIV 101 Training Class or online HIV 101 Training.Course Requirements:
- Attend the entire course.
- Actively participate and demonstrate skills learned during the course
- Successfully complete the skills and assessment phase for Pre-certification.
Post Course Requirements:
- Complete 5 monitored counseling sessions within 1 month of course completion.
- Submit documentation of monitored counseling sessions to the Division of HIV/STD/Viral Hepatitis for full certification.
What Else Should I Know
There is no charge for the course. Travel and other expenses are the responsibility of the sponsoring agency or participant.
2017 Training Date and Registration Deadline is as follows:
April 4 -6
October 3 - 5
ISDH reserves the right to cancel/reschedule trainings if necessary and notice of cancellation will be provided as far in advance as possible. Trainings may be offered at the discretion of the training program manager based on expressed interest from the community.
Please join us on Thursday, March 30th for a free training opportunity presented by the Indiana Family Health Council and hosted by Scott Memorial Hospital with the support of the Midwest AIDS Training + Education