What does a meth lab look like?
- Abnormal amounts of chemical products such as drain cleaner, cold packs, pseudoephedrine tablets, or lithium batteries.
- Strong or irritating pungent odors (Ammonia/Solvents)
- Distinctive trash such as pseudoephedrine packaging, battery casings, and HCL generators (plastic bottles with tubing)
There are four different primary methods to produce methamphetamine.
- Nazi/Birch Reduction
- Red Phosphorus/Hydroiodic Acid
- P2P Amalgam
- Primary Production Methods from the EPA Voluntary Guidelines for Methamphetamine Laboratory Cleanup-Hazardous chemicals from household products are used to make methamphetamine for each of the four methods. http://www.epa.gov/oem/meth_lab_guidelines.pdf
Source: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) (2013) “Voluntary Guidelines for Methamphetamine Laboratory Cleanup”