115 W. Washington Street
Suite 1080 South Tower
Indianapolis, IN 46204
John T. Sharpnack, a native of Columbus, was appointed to the Court of Appeals by Governor Evan Bayh in January 1991. He received his undergraduate and law degrees from the University of Cincinnati, where he was also Editor-in-Chief of the Law Review. Between degrees, he served a tour in the United States Army.
Following graduation from law school in 1960, Judge Sharpnack joined the Honor Graduate Program at the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, DC as an attorney. Three years later he returned to Columbus, becoming a partner at Sharpnack, Bigley, David and Rumple, where he practiced until his appointment to the Court.
While in private practice, Judge Sharpnack was active in legal associations and community groups. He served as Chairman of both the Trial Section and the House of Delegates of the Indiana State Bar Association, and for five years was a member of the State Bar’s Ethics Committee. For six years he was a member of the Indiana Supreme Court Committee on Rules of Practice and Procedure, and from 1987 to 1988, he was President of the Indiana Defense Lawyers Association. He also served on several local boards, including the Foundation for Youth, the United Way, and the Harrison Township Volunteer Fire Department.
Judge Sharpnack, who served as the Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals from September 9, 1992 to December 31, 2001, was retained on the Court by election in 1994 and 2004.
Judge Sharpnack retired May 2, 2008. At the request of the Chief Judge of the Court of Appeals, he serves as a Senior Judge.