2008 INSTITUTIONAL LIBRARY and MEDIA CENTER SURVEY
Collected by the Indiana State Library, Library Development Office, 140 N. Senate Ave., Indianapolis, IN 46204
1-800-451-6028, FAX 317-232-0002
Library Staff (Include general, law, patient, school and staff library staff)
Report law library staff separately from all other staff
Type of Employee: Report the number of staff who
- Have an American Library Association-Master’s of Library Science or its equivalent
- Have another college degree
- Work in the library and do not have a college degree
- Are offenders/residents/students, whether paid of volunteer
- *NEW* Are other unpaid/volunteer staff
Number of Employees: Report the number of employees who work full time (35 hours or more a week) and those who work part time (fewer than 35 hours a week) separately. FTE is no longer requested. Report all positions funded, whether those positions are filled or not.
Library Services Operating Expenditures (Include general, law, patient, school and staff library expenditures)
Include expenditures from whatever fund expenditures are made from, whether library or another fund)
Report law library expenditures separately from all other library expenditures
- Books, & Other Print Materials, Serial Backfiles, & All Microforms: Expenditures for all print materials, any purchase of print or microform serial (periodical) issues to complete a volume or previous year and expenditures for all microforms, including roll microfilm, microcard, microfiche, and ultrafiche. Included are current serials on microfilm.
- Periodicals: Expenditures for current paper subscriptions to magazines.
- Audiovisual Materials: Expenditures for all audiovisual library materials. This includes graphic materials, audio materials, motion pictures, video materials, and special visual materials such as three‑dimensional materials. Included are current serials in AV formats.
- Computer Databases and Search Services: Expenditures for materials considered part of the collection, whether purchased or leased, such as CD-ROMs, magnetic tapes, and magnetic disks that are designed to be processed by a computer or similar machine.
- Computer Hardware and Software: Expenditures for computer hardware and software, including maintenance agreements
- Total Library Service Operating Expenditures: Total operating funds expended by the library for the report year from its regular budget and from all other sources, e.g., grants, special projects, gifts and endowments, and fees for services. Include all of the previous list that are applicable.
Annual Library Services (Include general, law, patient, school and staff library services)
Report law library services separately from all other services
- Number of hours open: The public service hours for the library during a week are reported.
- Total number of items circulated (checked out): Total number of books, videos, etc. checked out. Include initial check outs and renewals.
- Total number of registered resident users (if applicable): Total number of users registered, if library requires some registration/sign up procedure in order for an offender/resident/student to use the collection.
- Total number of requests for items in Reserve collection: If library has reserves for usage of particular books, videos, etc.
- Total number of Interlibrary loans: If your library borrows materials for patrons from other library agencies using Interlibrary loan
- Automated catalog: If catalog is automated and information about the collection is retrieved via computer. Since there are many automation systems (some of which do not work well with others), the name of the system is very helpful. Also, many agencies pick automation systems because the agency they work with closely has that specific system.
- Numbers of computers for offender/resident/student and staff use: Those computers connected to the Internet are counted separately. Do NOT count numbers of uses of computer, just the number of computers available for your patrons.
Selected Library Collections (Include general, law, patient, school and staff library collections)
Report law library collections separately from all other collections
- Count physical units: An individual physical item of library material. Examples of units are: a volume (books and serials); a disk, cassette, cartridge, or reel (AV); a disk, tape, or cartridge (computer files).
- Realia: Puzzles, games, developmental/teaching tools; anything of a physical, manipulable nature, not really informational.
These questions are for use by the Indiana State Library. Responses will not be published.
What is the greatest need for your library?
Please state any need, the fulfillment of which would help your patrons receive more comprehensive library services
What percentage of your population is non-English speaking?
There are often grants available for services to this population.
Do you partner with your local public library?
The Indiana State Library encourages partnerships with local public libraries, which are often interested in outreach to the local community. Please list the contact people at each public library with whom you partner.