IPL Rates

Base Rates | Electric Vehicles
Environmental Compliance/New Generation | Trackers

In the most recent IURC survey of residential electric utility rates, Indianapolis Power & Light (IPL) ranked ninth among the 14 electric utilities under IURC jurisdiction.

As of July 2016, about 88 percent of a typical IPL residential customer’s bill paid the base rate (which traditionally covers most infrastructure and operating/maintenance costs) with the remaining 12 percent recovered through rate adjustment “trackers,” as described below.*

For information on the street lighting agreement between IPL and the City of Indianapolis (Cause No. 44981), click here.

Base Rates

IURC Cause No. 45029

IPL is seeking a general rate increase in a newly filed case before the IURC.

The OUCC is reviewing IPL's request and is scheduled to file testimony on May 24, 2018. Click here for more information and for updates on the case.

Consumers are invited to send written comments to the OUCC. For more information on the rate case process and on offering comments, please see our infographic and our Speaking Out on Pending Cases fact sheet.

IURC Cause No. 44893

A dismissal order in this case was issued on March 15, 2017. For more information, please click here.

IURC Cause Nos. 44576/44602

IPL's previous request for a general rate increase and the IURC's investigation of IPL's network facilities were consolidated into one case. The IURC issued its final orders on March 16, 2016 & March 23, 2016.

The OUCC filed testimony on July 27, 2015. For a summary, please see the agency's news release.

An IURC public field hearing in the rate case was held on March 16, 2015. For more information on the rate case and investigation, please click here.

Electric Vehicle Proposal

In February 2015, the IURC ruled on IPL's request regarding a proposed electric car sharing program for Indianapolis (Cause No. 44478).

Environmental Compliance Projects & New Generation

IPL has received approval of projects at its Petersburg Generating Station, aimed at compliance with the US EPA's National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) rule and Coal Combustion Residuals (CCR) rule. Click here for more information on Cause No. 44794.

Previous cases of note include:

  • IURC approval for a $511 million plan to install new pollution control equipment at IPL's Petersburg and Harding Street generating stations (Cause No. 44242).
  • Approval for IPL to build and operate a new natural gas-fired generating facility in Morgan County, and to convert two coal-fired generating units (Units 5 & 6) at its Harding Street station to natural gas (Cause No. 44339).
  • Approval for IPL to convert Harding Street Unit 7 from coal to natural gas (Cause No. 44540).

Trackers

In addition to base rates, IPL and other electric utilities recover and credit separate, specific costs through rate adjustment mechanisms known as "trackers." Rate adjustments via trackers are reviewed by the OUCC and approved by the IURC on a quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis.

IPL uses the following trackers:

Tracker Recovers Costs for Frequency IURC Cause No.
Fuel Adjustment Clause (FAC) Coal and other fuels Quarterly 38703
Environmental Cost Recovery (ECR) Emissions control equipment (including operations & maintenance) Semi-Annual 42170
Demand Side Management (DSM) Energy efficiency programs Semi-Annual 43623
Green Power Rider (GPR) Program allowing customers to voluntarily buy renewable energy credits Annual 44121
Off-System Sales (OSS) Sales to the wholesale power market Annual 44795
Capacity Adjustment Factor (CAP) Capacity cost recovery Annual 44795
Regional Transmission Organization (RTO) Participation in Midcontinent Independent System Operator (MISO) Annual 44808

All publicly filed documents in tracker cases can be reviewed by visiting the IURC's electronic document system and entering the appropriate cause number.

* Rankings and examples refer to monthly usage of 1,000 kWh in the IURC’s 2017 Residential Bill Survey, based on July 1, 2017 billings.

2-9-18