Information Pertaining to Temporary Permits
To obtain a temporary permit to practice occupational therapy or occupational therapy assisting in the state of Indiana, you must also apply for full licensure/certification to practice in the state of Indiana. The application may be downloaded from the website.
Examination applicants must submit the following to the Professional Licensing Agency to receive a temporary permit:
- Completed application with the $50.00 temporary permit fee, plus the initial application fee of $100.00.
- Two (2) recent passport type photographs of the applicant, approximately two (2) inches by two (2) inches in size.
- An official (certified) transcript of grades sent directly from the school from which the occupational therapist or occupational therapy assistant obtained his or her degree that shows the degree has been conferred; OR an official originally signed letter from the dean of the occupational therapy or occupational therapy assisting program attended stating you have met all criteria for graduation. Graduates of a foreign occupational therapy program must submit an official translation if the transcript is not in English.
Please note: An official transcript MUST be submitted before full certification can be issued.
- The Supervision Letter must be completed by the supervising Indiana licensed occupational therapist indicating he/she will be providing direct supervision to the applicant. No letter or other form will be acceptable.
- Graduates of a foreign occupational therapy program must submit the NBCOT approval to take the examination.
- Notarized copy of Diploma or an original letter from the school indicating that the applicant has completed al requirements for the degree (listing degree) and has graduated on (list date of graduation). This letter must have an original signature and be signed by the program director/dean of the program.
- Criminal Background Check (CBC) - all applicants must obtain a criminal background check prior to a license or temporary permit being issued. Please note that a CBC may only be obtained after you have been notified that we have received your application. If it is obtained prior to our receiving your application it cannot be accepted and you will be required to do a new one
- A temporary permit expires the earlier of the following: (1) the date the applicant becomes fully licensed/certified OR (2) the date the Occupational Therapy Committee disapproves the application for full licensure/certification.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications and documentation will not be returned to you.
Fees are not refundable.
Please refer to the application for detailed information.