Continuing Education Requirements
- Medical charting.
- Billing and coding.
- Healthcare compliance; or
- Compliance with federal or Indiana state laws or regulations.
Courses which are approved by the board or the Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (COPE) in the area of jurisprudence and medical recordkeeping will be accepted and are not considered practice management courses.
Completion of Continuing Education
All continuing education completed for the April 1, 2016 renewal period must be completed between the dates of April 1, 2014 to April 1, 2016. Any continuing education completed before or after the renewal date will not be acceptable for this renewal period.
Approved Continuing Education Programs
Continuing education means an orderly process of instruction that is approved by an approved organization or the board that is designed to directly enhance the practitioner's knowledge and skill in providing services relevant to the practitioner's profession or occupation and falls under an "Approved Organization" it is no longer necessary to submit an application for continuing education approval by the Indiana Optometry Board. An "Approved Organization" refers to the following:
- United States Department of Education.
- Council on Post-Secondary Education.
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals.
- Joint Commission on Healthcare Organizations.
- Federal, state, and local government agencies.
- A college or other teaching institution accredited by the United States Department of Education or the Council on Post-Secondary Education.
- A national organization of practitioners whose members practicing in Indiana are subject to regulation by a board or agency regulating a profession or occupation under this title or IC 15.
- A national, state, district, or local organization that operates as an affiliated entity under the approval of any organization listed in subdivisions (1) and (7).
- An internship or a residency program conducted in a hospital that has been approved by an organization listed in subdivisions (1) through (7).
- Any other organization or individual approved by the Board.
Sponsors with automatic approval
- The Indiana Optometric Association and its affiliates.
- The American Optometric Association (AOA).
- The Council on Optometric Practitioner Education (COPE).
- The American Academy of Optometry and its affiliate organizations.
- National or regional organization accredited as a provider of ophthalmic continuing medical education (CME) by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME)
- Other state optometric associations and their affiliate local societies.
- Regional optometric associations.
- Postgraduate courses offered at any accredited school of optometry.
- Completion of a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or basic life support (BLS) approved by the American Heart Association, American Red Cross or provider approved by the Board will be granted up to two (2) hours of continuing education credit per renewal period.
Self-Study Continuing Education
Self-study continuing education for an optometry license and optometric legend drug certificate renewal shall be limited to a total of eight (8) hours biennially. In order to be accepted as continuing education for an optometry license and optometric legend drug certificate renewal, self-study methods of presentation must include a written examination or post evaluation.
Self-study includes the following:
Journals and books Audiotapes Films and videotapes Internet on-line Closed circuit television Satellite broadcasts Correspondence courses CD-ROM DVD Teleconferencing Videoconferencing Distance learning
CE Programs Not Acceptable for Renewal
- Practice management courses, except as described above.
- The writing of articles for publication.
Continuing Education for Speakers
An optometrist who acts as a speaker, lecturer, or other presenter may be awarded one (1) hour of continuing education credit for each hour of the continuing education course taught. No more than four (4) hours per renewal period will be awarded. The presentation is eligible for credit only once regardless of the number of times it is presented and the optometrist must maintain a record for the time, place, and date of the presentation. The presentation must be approved by the board or sponsored by an approved organization.
Continuing Education Audits and Certificate Retention
A licensee is not required to submit copies of their continuing education certificates at the time of renewal. By renewing online or signing the renewal application you swear or affirm under the penalties of perjury that you have completed the continuing education requirement. A practitioner shall retain copies of continuing education certificates for three (3) years from the end of the licensing period. After the renewal, the Board shall randomly audit for compliance more that one percent (1%) but less than ten percent (10%) of the practitioner required to take continuing education courses. At that time they will be require to submit copies of their continuing education certificates. If the licensee does not comply with the audit the Board will proceed with action as specified IC 25-1-4-5 and IC 25-1-4-6.
Continuing education certificates must contain the following information:
- The name of the participant
- The name of the sponsoring organization
- The title of the program
- The date of the program
- The location of the program
- The number of continuing education hours awarded.