Genetic Counselor Continuing Education
All Genetic Counselors that are licensed must obtain fifty (50) continuing education contact hours in order to renew your license.
To renew a license, an applicant must complete continuing education. The continuing education must meet the requirements of IC 25-1-4 and consist of:
- the completion in each two (2) year license cycle of fifty (50) contact hours that have been approved by the National Society of Genetic Counselors; or
- the successful completion in each two (2) year license cycle of a reading assignment and proctored examination in medical genetics provided by the American Board of Medical Genetics.
Please do not send in your continuing education certificates. A random audit will be performed after the renewal period is complete. If you are chosen you will be sent a letter with instructions on sending in your certificates.
The board may grant an applicant seeking renewal of a license a waiver from all or part of the continuing education requirement for the renewal period if the applicant was not able to fulfill the requirement due to a hardship that resulted from any of the following conditions:
- Service in the armed forces of the United States during a substantial part of the renewal period.
- An incapacitating illness or injury.
- Other circumstances determined by the board.
If you wish to request a waiver of the continuing education requirement you must do so prior to renewing your Genetic Counselors license. If you fit one of the categories above and are requesting a waiver, please email email@example.com with the information and formal request.
The Medical Licensing Board meets the 4th Thursday of each Month. Your request will be reviewed at the next upcoming meeting after receipt. You will be informed by email of the Board’s decision.
If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org