Info Agency Main Banner Content
Service of Process
In accordance with Indiana rules of procedure, Trial Rule 4.10 (A) (1), Rule 4.11; Rule 4.2 the following items are required before service of process may be issued.
Please send information to:
- Service of Process
302 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Request for service, praecipe for summons, praecipe must include the following:
- State that the Secretary of State is the agent of the person/corporation being served;
- Last known address of the person/corporation being served. If no such address is known, that must be stated;
- Three (3) copies of the summons, one (1) copy of the complaint for each defendant to be served;
- Filing fee of $10.00 for each defendant to be served. Checks should be made payable to the Indiana Secretary of State; and
- If you want proof and affidavit as evidence showing the summons was served, please include a letter of request and self addressed stamped envelope with the request.
If you would like further assistance, please contact our constituent services helpline at 317-234-8513
Q. How long will it take to process my request for service of process?
A. Once the Secretary of State receives your request for service, it may take five (5) business days to a month, depending on the delivery times of the United States Postal Service.
Q. What is a preacipe?
A. A preacipe is commonly called the summons. Black’s Law dictionary states: a paper containing the particulars of a writ, lodged in the office out of which the writ is to be issued.
Q. When can I call to find out the status of a service of process I sent?
A. If you have sent a request for service, please allow 2-3 weeks before contacting us.