Chapter 6 - Forming the Not For Profit Formal Association
Once you have selected the business name of the not for profit you are ready to begin the life of the entity.
To form the not for profit corporation organizational documents must be filed with the Business Services Division of the Secretary of State. Although not required, boilerplate forms to form the entity are available from the Division. You may obtain forms via our website, by visiting our office, or by mail. All cites are to the Indiana Code ("IC"). Each code cite is linked to the appropriate section of the Indiana Code.
To begin Articles of Incorporation must be approved and filed. The Articles of Incorporation must include the following: (IC 23-17-3-2)
- the name of the corporation (which must include "Corporation", "Company," "Incorporated," "Limited," or an abbreviation thereof);
- a statement as to whether the corporation will be a public benefit, religious or mutual benefit corporation;
- the name and address of the Registered Agent;
- the name and address of all the incorporators;
- a statement as to whether the corporation will have members;
- a statement regarding the distribution of assets upon dissolution (IC 23-17-22-5); and
- a $50.00 filing fee ( $ 20.00 online)
This is the website to file the Articles of Incorporation
To file by paper and use the state prescribed form download a copy here