- Skip Navigation

Note: This message is displayed if (1) your browser is not standards-compliant or (2) you have you disabled CSS. Read our Policies for more information.

  • Business & Agriculture
  • Residents
  • Government
  • Education
  • Taxes & Finance
  • Visiting & Playing
  • Family & Health

Indiana State Personnel Department

SPD > Benefits > Eligibility > Dependent Eligibility Audit Dependent Eligibility Verification Audit

The state of Indiana has instituted a process to verify the dependents enrolled on the state’s health, dental and vision plan(s). Therefore, employees are randomly selected to participate in a dependent audit. The audit helps ensure that dependents enrolled are eligible and helps keep costs down.

Once documents are requested, submissions may be sent to:

Indiana State Personnel
Attn: Dependent Audit
402 W Washington St. RM W-161
Indianapolis, IN 46204

Fax: 317-232-3011


Any questions concerning the dependent audit should be directed to the SPD Benefits Hotline at 317-232-1167 or toll-free at 877-248-0007.

Eligibility Definition and Required Documentation

Dependents Eligibility Definition Documentation Required
Spouse An individual to whom you are legally married.  IC 31-11-8-5 provides: a marriage is void if the marriage is a common law marriage that was entered into after Jan. 1, 1958.  Employees are not allowed to claim dependents based on common law marriages.  An ex-spouse is not eligible for coverage even if court ordered.
  • Photocopy of marriage certificate
  • AND a copy of the front page of the employee’s most recent federal tax return that includes employee’s spouse (you may black out all financial information and all but the last four digits of any social security number.)
Child Natural, step, foster, legally adopted children or children for whom the employee or spouse has been appointed legal guardian  or awarded legal custody by a court, until the end of the month in which they turn 26. . For Natural Child(ren)
  • Photocopy of birth certificate showing employee’s name
For Stepchild(ren)
  • Photocopy of the birth certificate showing employee’s spouse’s name;
  • AND a copy of marriage certificate showing the employee and parent’s name
For Legal Guardian, Adoption or
Foster Child(ren)
  • Photocopy of Affidavits of Dependence, Final Court Order with presiding judge’s signature, Adoption Final Decree with presiding judge’s signature or a Qualified Medical Child Support Order showing the date of birth
Disabled Dependent A dependent, as defined above, who, prior to age 19, was incapable of self-sustaining employment by reason of mental or physical disability and is chiefly dependent upon the employee for support and maintenance may continue coverage beyond the end of the month in which they turn 26.  A dependent child of the employee who attained age 19 while covered under another Health Care policy and met the disability criteria specified above, is an eligible dependent for enrollment so long as no break in coverage, longer than sixty-three (63) days, has occurred immediately prior to enrollment.
  • Documentation as noted above for “Child” dependent type
  • AND a copy of the employee’s most recent federal tax return showing the dependent listed (you may black out all financial information and all but the last four digits of any social security number)

Please note that this audit is only verifying the child’s eligibility as a “dependent.” Whether a dependent is “disabled” is outside the scope of this audit.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Why are you asking me to verify my dependents?
We must guarantee consistent application of eligibility requirements within our health plans. Additionally, ineligible dependents that are using our health plans create higher costs for those who are eligible.

Q: Who is being audited?
Any employee who has active family health coverage will be subject to being randomly selected to comply with the Dependent Eligibility Verification Audit.

Q: Which dependent types must be verified?
All eligible dependent types (spouse, child, disabled child and ward) must be verified to maintain coverage for these eligible dependents.

Q: If I have misplaced my marriage certificate, birth certificate(s) or other documents needed for this audit, where can I get a new copy?
To obtain a copy of a marriage certificate you may contact the local courthouse in which the event took place to request a copy. Information on how to order a birth certificate can be found through the Department of Health at:

Q: What happens if I fail to respond to the Dependent Eligibility Verification Audit?
If you do not provide the required documentation to verify your dependent(s) eligibility, you will be subject to discipline up to and including dismissal.