The Indiana State Fair and Dow AgroSciences have partnered with the Indiana Association of Fairs (INAF) and Feeding Indiana’s Hungry (FIsH) to implement a Farmers Care County Food Drive. The goal of Farmers Care is to raise awareness of local hunger needs and help feed Hoosiers impacted by hunger needs. FAIRs Care taps the passion and ingenuity of county fairs to ensure impact is felt statewide.
- 1 in 6 Hoosier and more than 1 in 5 Hoosier children is at risk of hunger (22%)
- More than 1.1 million people, including more than 319,800 children, receive emergency food each year through the member food banks of Feeding Indiana’s Hungry.
- 33% of food bank clients are children under the age of 18
- 77% of food bank clients report having to choose between paying for food or paying their utilities/fuel bills.
- Every $1 raised provides multiple meals.
1. County Fair's to develop and implement a food drive during the 2015 County Fair season.
2. Engage a local food bank to help organize the food drive and ensure donations are utilized locally.
3. Completet the Farmers Care application online (registration below). Applications are due by May 1, 2015. Approved county fairs will receive an allotment of Indiana State Fair tickets to help incentivize donations.
4. Upon the successful completion of the food drive and submission of a final report on donations raised by July 31, 2015 to the Indiana State Fair, the top 5 of all participating county fairs will receive $200 to put towards a future hunger initiative.
Encourage your local County Fair Office to participate and help put an end to Hoosier Hunger!