Birth Information

Birth records in the ISDH Vital Records office begin with October 1907. Prior to October 1907, records of birth are filed only with the local health department in the county where the birth actually occurred.

There are two forms of birth certificates available for purchase from ISDH Vital Records. The standard birth certificate is a certified 8.5” by 5.5” copy of identifying information extracted from the original birth certificate. A long form birth certificate is a certified 8.5” by 11” copy of identifying information extracted from the original birth certificate. Gender is available on both standard and long form certificates. Time of birth is available on long form certificates, but was not collected from 1949 to 1953, and the time may not have been recorded on the certificate prior to 1949.

A record cannot be identified as available prior to purchase because under State statute (IC 16-37-1-11 and IC 37-1-11.5), the fee associated with a birth certificate is for the ISDH Vital Records office to search the records to determine if a record is on file. The search fee includes one certified copy of the certificate, if the record is found; search fees are non-refundable. If you do not have the information required for a search, contact Vital Records at (317) 234-8156 to determine if a search is feasible.

Indiana does not issue birth certificates for individuals born in another state. Requests must be made directly to the vital records office in the state where the birth occurred. For a listing of contact information for vital records agencies throughout the country, visit the CDC's Where to Write for Vital Records page.

If a change needs to be made to a birth certificate, please visit the Correct/Amend a Birth Certificate page of the Vital Records website for details.

Customers that need an Apostille on certificates they have purchased from ISDH may get more information by visiting the Indiana Secretary of State’s Apostilles website.

For individuals born abroad to parents with U.S. Citizenship, please visit the U.S. Department of State’s Birth of U.S. Citizens Abroad page.