Tim Maxwell, President of ‘GreenEarth® Cleaning’ presented on the use of the alternative solvent, Green Earth [PDF] on Tuesday, December 20, 2016 as a replacement for Perchloroethylene (Perc).
The Compliance & Technical Assistance Program (CTAP) and the Midwest Drycleaning & Laundry Association (MWDLA) have collaborated to develop and provide educational resources including templates, guides, an instructional video, and workshops outlining the requirements of 40 CFR 63 Subpart M - National Emission Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) for Perchloroethylene (Perc) Drycleaning Facilities. Compliance and Technical Assistance (CTAP) Staff can also assists drycleaning facilities to understand and comply with all applicable environmental regulations.
As required by 40 CFR 63.324(f), each owner or operator of a drycleaning facility using Perchloroethylene (Perc) shall submit a Notification of Compliance Status form (available on the IDEM Forms page) to the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) Office of Air Quality (OAQ).
About sixty percent of all drycleaners use the Perc to clean garments. Innovations in cleaning machines have caused Perc emissions and waste to decrease. Innovations in cleaning solvents have seen a growing trend in the use of alternative solvents. Mary Scalco, CEO, Drycleaning & Laundry Institute (DLI) described “Non-Perc Drycleaning Technology and Future Industry Trends [PDF]” at the 2014 Small Business Environmental Training on June 4, 2014, in Washington D.C. The aforementioned presentation includes a brief history of drycleaning solvents as well as an update on what alternative solvents exist and their associated environmental impacts.
Compliance Assistance Resources:
Compliance Manual and Other Instructional Resources
Perc Drycleaner Documents (Federal Rule Information)
- Compliance Summary Document [PDF]
- U.S. EPA Drycleaning Sector (NAICS 8123)
- Notification forms:
- Perc Purchase 12-month Rolling Total Log:
- Perc Drycleaning NESHAP Compliance Worksheets:
- Compliance Flowchart for Drycleaning NESHAP [PDF]
- Halogenated Leak Detectors:
- Best Management Practices for Drycleaning Facilities [PDF]
- List of Perc Separator Water Equipment Vendors [PDF]
- Non-Rule Policy Document on Evaporation of Hazardous Waste Wastewater [PDF]
- Basic requirements comparison chart [PDF]
- Hazardous Waste Tracking Log [PDF]
- RCRA in Focus: Drycleaning [PDF]
- Transporters of RCRA Hazardous Waste (December 2016) [XLS]
- IDEM does not regularly update this list. Some entities on the list may no longer be active.
- Sample Emergency Phone List [PDF]
- OSHA Plans - Hazard Communication and Emergency Action Plan and Employee Training Record [PDF]
- Use these plans as examples only; you must customize them to fit your individual needs.