The Technical Planning Section provides planning support services to various INDOT offices, engineering staff, and asset management teams. INDOT’s Technical Planning Section provides cooperative interaction between the public, transportation professionals, stakeholders, and decision makers. The section provides technical analysis to assist in future multi-billion dollar transportation infrastructure investment needs decisions to optimize transportation system performance; provide economic opportunities; and to improve the quality of life to residents. The section provides two basic services:
Planning Products & Information
- Indiana 2010-2035 Future Transportation Needs Report - The Indiana Future Transportation Needs Report functions as the INDOT Long-Range Transportation Plan. The report identifies future transportation needs and describes overarching strategies and opportunities to accomplish future results.
- Access Management Guide - Access management is the process that manages access to land development while simultaneously preserving the flow of traffic on the surrounding public road system in terms of safety, capacity and speed. Access management provides a systematic means of balancing access needs and movement/mobility requirements of streets and roads.
- Indiana State Route Bicycle Suitability Analysis Map - The purpose of the bicycle suitability analysis map is to provide a snapshot of the quality of state roadways for use by experienced bicyclists. The Bicycle Suitability Rating Criteria document provides a description of the data and methods used to develop the suitabilit map. Both the map and the rating criteria docment document are in draft form for the public commen until May 31, 2013. Please provide comments either by completing and submitting the Public Comment Form by email or by writing to the INDOT Technical Planning Section Attention: Jay Mitchell.
- Annual Program Development Process for State (APDP-S) Projects - The APDP-S is a comprehensive set of procedures for project development on the INDOT state highway jurisdictional system, which includes: interstates, US Highways, and state roads. The APDP-S provides the mechanism for identifying transportation needs and programming of major capacity projects considered for inclusion in the Future Year Transportation Needs Report, INDOT 5‐Year Asset Management Construction Plan (under development); and the State Transportation Improvement Program (STIP). Please provide comments regarding INDOT's PDP-S either by completing and submitting the Public Comment Form, by email or by writing to the INDOT Technical Planning Section Attention: Jay Mitchell.
- 2007 Interchange Study - This study evaluates improvement needs for interchange areas and identifying a prioritization for improvement of interchanges based on a relative comparison of deficiencies or need for improvement. This study was based upon a fiscally unconstrained needs analysis and therefore serves as an input into the statewide planning process. Recommendations from this study will be integrated into the statewide plan set of recommended improvements based upon the evaluation of interchange needs relative to other improvement needs and anticipated financial resources.
- Statewide Mobility Corridor Hierarchy Map - INDOT’s planning process is based upon a mobility corridor hierarchy system for statewide prioritization. The highest hierarchy includes interstate, freeways, and other roadways included on the National Highway System.
Indiana citizens play an important role in shaping the transportation decisions that will affect their communities. INDOT is constantly looking for and receiving comments and input from citizens, elected officials, and transportation professionals to support our transportation planning process. INDOT’s public involvement procedures provide opportunities for early and continuing engagement of public and community stakeholders in developing transportation plans, programs, and projects.
Please provide comments either by completing and submitting the Public Comment Form, by email, or by writing to the INDOT Technical Planning Section.
INDOT Technical Planning Section
Attn: Divsion of Planning Asset Management
Indiana Department of Transportation
100 N. Senate Ave., N955
Indianapolis, IN 46204-2217