Transferring Records to State Archives

Before sending records to the State Archives, a state agency's records coordinator should contact the State Archives (317-591-5222 or to describe the materials involved, and determine what steps to take for the transfer.

Ordinarily, records sent to the State Archives must be packed in boxes with lids. The Archives usually accepts only paper records, which includes photographs, books, architectural drawings, blueprints, etc.; or records on microform, such as microfilm and microfiche. Records on other media, such as magnetic tapes or computer diskettes, are dealt with on a case by case basis. Procedures for transferring these records should be arranged on an individual basis with the State Archives staff.

Reels of microfilm should also be packed in boxes with lids. Each reel must be in an individual acid-free box and each box must be labeled properly. The reel boxes should be placed in boxes with the labels facing up and in the same direction. A copy of State Form 52408, Microfilm Transmittal and Receipt - State Agency (file is in pdf format) should be filled out and submitted to the State Archives. Please contact the State Archives for additional instructions before sending it, or transferring any microfilm.

Each box transferred to the State Archives must be properly labeled on the front (or on paper permanently attached to the box) as follows:

  1. agency name
  2. agency division
  3. record-series title
  4. record-series number
  5. box number and total number of boxes

For example, if the Indiana Department of Environmental Management transferred thirteen boxes to the State Archives, the proper label for box ten would read:

Air Pollution
General Files
RS: 83-409
Box 10 of 13

Beyond just labeling these boxes, agencies should make an inventory of the records involved in order to prevent any confusion over what has been sent to the State Archives. Each inventory should include a list of the folders or of the microfilm rolls enclosed in a particular box. As well, please include the name and telephone number of the person making the transfer.

Records with various record series numbers should be boxed separately according to like numbers.

After the records are properly boxed and labeled, the Agency Records Coordinator should fill out State Form 48883, State Archives Record Transmittal And Receipt Form. A separate State Form 48883 should be used for each record series number.

After transfer, the State Archives staff will process the records according to the retention schedule and prepare an accession register detailing them. The accession register notes the records location, the box number(s), how many cubic feet of records were retained, the date of the records, and the transfer documentation. Also, if applicable, the criteria for any evaluation, weeding and sampling will be stated. Your copy of the accession register and the accompanying documentation serves as your receipt for those records and is essential when following an audit trail. The State Archives sends a copy of the accession register to the records coordinator of the agency of origin.

NOTE: If records are transferred from the Records Center to the State Archives, a State Form 16, Records Destruction Notification is sent out. (File is in pdf format.) If there is a State Form 16 attached to your copy of an accession register, it indicates that the records were transferred to the State Archives by Records Center staff. Based on the retention schedule for the records, the Archives may keep only a sample of the records (some records are saved, while the bulk of the records are destroyed). The cubic feet of records destroyed will be indicated in the Accession Notes field of the Accession Register.