Indiana Homeland Security Foundation Scholarship Program
The revenue from “Secure Indiana” license plate sales funds the Indiana Homeland Security Foundation. The Foundation, one of the first of its kind in the nation, provides financial support for critical public safety needs across Indiana. The Foundation offers a Secure Indiana Scholarship to provide higher education financial assistance for Indiana students who wish to pursue a degree.
A full-time student with at least twelve (12) credit hours is eligible for a $2,000 scholarship and a part-time student with at least six (6) hours is eligible for a $1,000 scholarship. The program funds are intended solely to reimburse eligible student educational expenses.
Who Can Apply?
An Indiana resident who is an incoming or continuing student who:
- Attends or will be attending an accredited Indiana college.
- Must have a grade point average of 2.8 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Volunteers at a public safety organization such as fire, law enforcement, emergency management or emergency medical services (validated by chief executive). IDHS will determine compliance eligibility. For more information on the compliance of an organization contact the council coordinator.
NOTE: Applicants who are state employees or special state appointees ARE NOT eligible for a scholarship.
Application will require the following:
- Complete a foundation scholarship application form and include an official college or high school (for incoming freshmen) transcript.
- A recommendation letter from the public safety organization’s chief executive describing the volunteer work completed by the applicant.
- A resume or list of past employment, awards, honors, and/or volunteer/service activities.
- A minimum 500-word essay describing why the applicant is applying for this scholarship and why the applicant believes volunteering is important.
- A completed Vendor Information Form (State Form 53788)
How to Apply
All applications will be processed through the Indiana Grants Management System (iGMS). If you are interested in submitting an application, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be given a vendor form, username and access to the system. Questions should be directed to Grants Management of the Indiana Department of Homeland Security.